Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blakely Turns ONE!!!

Happy 1st Birthday to Blakely!!  I can't believe it's been a year since my first ugly cake ... I mean, since you were born!


Beth started planning Blakely's 1st birthday party while she was planning her blowout Halloween party.  Needless to say, she was on party overload.  So I took that opportunity to force suggest a zebra cake accented with pink feathers.  Luckily for me, she was too exhausted to fight me!  YIPPEE!!!  Zebra cake it is. 


The party was ridiculously cute.  I wish I had pictures of the party, but just imagine zebra and hot pink on everything.  It was so girlie and pretty!!


Here is the cake:








It was a white cake with a bright pink oreo filling. 


I learned a lot from this cake.  First of all, I learned that sometimes accenting with fondant over fondant can look very sloppy if not done properly.  In this case, the black stripes were thick and crackly (2nd & 3rd things I learned - roll out the fondant much thinner and make sure the fondant is well moisturized!).  So, as a last minute decision, I piped white buttercream along the edges of the black stripes.  I was not thrilled with how it looked.  It was sloppy, but looked much better than it did without the piping.


Here is a closeup (I can't believe I'm going to show this!)




I wish I could make this cake all over again.  I know I could do it MUCH better.  Who wants me to make this cake for them???

No comments:

Post a Comment